The world loves Batman! To celebrate this fact – and the talents of comic book creators around the world – DC just announced Batman: the world, a 184-page anthology by creators from 14 different countries, with each story set in the creators’ home country.
Batman: the world goes on sale worldwide on Tuesday, September 14, 2021, just in time for Batman Day 2021 (Saturday, September 18, 2021). Localized editions will be available in North America, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Czech Republic, Russia, Poland, Turkey, Mexico, Brazil, China, Korea and Japan.
“Batman has become a true icon of pop culture, known the world over,” said DC editor and creative director. Jim lee in a report. “Batman: the world is how DC shows fans around the world that Batman is more than a character; Batman is a phenomenon that transcends languages and borders.
Writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee bermejo (Batman: Damned, Joker, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, Batman / Deathstroke) get together for the main framing story, “Global city, ” in which
Batman reflects on his time in Gotham, protecting his city and its people from all kinds of threats. But when he looks past bridges, alleys and skyscrapers, the Dark Knight realizes that the call for justice knows no borders, for there are wrongs to be righted everywhere. This framing device leads to stories from an international list of distinguished talents:
- Mathieu Gabella (writer) / Thierry Martin (artist) – France
- Paco Roca (writer / artist) – Spain
- Alessandro Bilotta (writer) / Nicola Mari (artist) – Italy
- Benjamin von Eckartsberg (writer) / Thomas von Kummant (artist) – Germany
- Stepan Kopriva (writer) / Michal Suchánek (artist) – Czech Republic
- Tomasz Kolodziejczak (writer) / Piotr Kowalski, Brad Simpson (artists) – Poland
- Ertan Ergil (writer) / Ethem Onur Bilgiç (artist) – Turkey
- Alberto Chimal (writer) / Rulo Valdés (artist) – Mexico
- Carlos Estefan (writer) / Pedro Mauro (Artist) – Brazil
- Inpyo Jeon (writer) / Jae-kwang Park, Kim Jung Gi (artists) – Korea)
- Xu Xiaodong, Lu Xiaotong (writers) / Qiu Kun, Yi Nan (artists) – China
- Kirill Kutuzov, Egor Prutov (writers) / Natalia Zaidova (artist) – Russia
- Okadaya Yuichi (writer / artist) – Japan
While we don’t have time to track down this whole list, it is indeed solid. For example, Paco Roca is one of Spain’s best-known cartoonists – his work has been published here by Fantagraphics, including Wrinkles and lodge. Okadaya Yuichi is an award-winning mangaka in Japan; Alexandre bilotta also has a loaded rewards shelf; etc.
Local publishers are partnering with DC for international editions, and they will each have unique coverage by the local creative team. International publishing and distribution partners include Urban Comics (France), ECC Ediciones (Spain), Panini (Italy, Brazil, Germany), CREW (Czech Republic), Azbooka-Atticus (Russia), Egmont Polska (Poland), JBC (Turkey), Editorial Televisa (Mexico, Central America), Sigongsa (Korea), Starfish Media (China) and Shopro (Japan).
And here are 13 covers and some interior artwork – if you’ve ever wanted to see Batman mulling over various cultural sites around the world, now’s your time. Real beauties here!