Nick Kyrgios takes down the world number one. 7 Andre Rublev will book a third-round spot at the Miami Open

0

Nick Kyrgios’ killer run continued with a landslide victory over fifth seed Andre Rublev in the second round of the Miami Open.

The Aussie star needed just 52 minutes to dismantle the world No.7 in straight sets, 6-3 6-0, setting up a thrilling third-round encounter with Italy’s Fabio Fognini.

Serving up 10 aces and 20 winners across the two sets, Kyrgios’ power play overwhelmed Rublev, who until his encounter with the world No. 102 had won 16 of his last 18 matches.

“I know he’s the type of player who relies on a bit of pace, so I just tried to keep the points short and crisp,” Kyrgios said.

After his disappointing second-round exit from the Australian Open in January, Kyrgios found his form, knocking out world No. 8 Casper Ruud in Indian Wells last week before narrowly losing to Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals. .

Kyrgios will face Fognini on Monday (AEST) with a victory in the only meeting between the two in Miami in 2018.

“I’m just happy that I made it,” Kyrgios said. “Top 10, top 20 or top 1000, I don’t care. I could lose to anyone any day or beat anyone. This is the story of my career. »

Meanwhile, Kyrgios will face Rublev again in doubles on Monday alongside Thanasi Kokkinakis in the men’s doubles round of 16, with the Russian teaming up with world No. 25 Karen Kachenov.

Share.

Comments are closed.